Friends can be a powerful supporter or a huge distraction when it comes to eating healthy. Since starting my blog a week ago, I have had the pleasure of dining out with (and just in the same proximity as) friends who know I am really trying to loose weight and get healthy. They have been very supportive as they question what I am going to choose from the menu, apologizing for bringing crackers with my salad and complimenting my resistance to temptation. With this kind of support, it seems easy...but then the dilemma.
I can't possibly be the only person who can't seem to work out the balance of food, friends and fun. My family loves to socialize. We host friends for dinner at least one night a week, or have friends over for coffee and dessert in the evening. Celebrations and rewards of any kind MUST involve food. This is how we show our love and appreciation for the people in our life. Like a good Italian mama, I want to feed them!
For whatever reason, I am reluctant to subject others to my insulin resistance diet. I know what a sacrifice it seems to me to give up bread, pasta, potatoes, corn and rice that the idea of asking my guests to do the same feels like serving up dinner for the contestants on "Survivor".
What's next, serving up "tofurkey" for Thanksgiving Dinner??
I have been on the bandwagon for 8 days. I haven't lost a single pound. I think my scale is broken. Every time I step on it 214 stares back, mocking me. Mostly, I have been really good....mostly. I did eat pizza (2 slices!) on Saturday Night but said no to the Peanut Butter Cream Pie with my coffee for dessert. I am sorry, but the almonds were a poor substitute. I did drink alcohol, but only 1 drink, on a couple of occasions. I did eat half a bowl of popcorn just last night because I felt like it. And today, in order to enjoy lunch with my kids during field day, I ate a hot dog, WITH THE BUN, CHIPS, & SHERBET!
Tomorrow is another day, and I will once again plant my not-quite-as-big-as-Kirsty-ass on the bandwagon and go again. And don't take it personally if I stop inviting you to dinner. You didn't insult me and your breath doesn't stink. It's not you...It's me.
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hang in there Michelle! I support you 100%! maybe we need to do the "Picture" thing again.. that seemed to work for both of us for a while! We can still come over .. even if you don't "feed" us! its you we love.. not the food! :)
ReplyDelete