Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Daughters and Body Image

I am the mother of three beautiful daughters. I don't want them to be neurotic about their bodies. I am not obsessed about looking good. I don't have dreams of being that mom that high school boys talk about. "Stacy's Mom" is never going to be my theme song! I really just want to be healthy. To not develop full blown type 2 diabetes. To keep my liver functioning healthy. To have enough energy to enjoy playing with my kids.

I want my girls to develop active, healthy lifestyles and to believe that outdoor sports are not a disease. I am not a very good role model there. I have always been "busy" but not "active". I was the most uncoordinated cheerleader on the planet. It is a good thing I went to a small school or I would never have had a prayer. I have tried skiing twice in my life. Trust me - no one wants me anywhere near a bunny hill again. I am a hazard to all. I would much rather scrapbook than work in the garden. I would rather watch a good movie than go for a walk, or heaven forbid a RUN, in any temperature warmer than 65 degrees. I don't like getting sweaty - EVER - not even for the good reason!

Yet another reason to keep at it, for THEM. Because they want a Mom they can be proud of, who will spend quality time with them, who can be a role model. I guess I am just going to have to learn to love sweat, even if I never learn to love gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment